Zweitblog beachten!

Travel Kiwi - Jetzt mit aktuellen Reiseberichten!
____________________________________________________


Sunday, May 3, 2009

Spätzle - geknöpft

Spätzle are a famous German dish. Often served fried with cheese in tourist regions. I think it might be called the German version of cheese macaroni.

There are different ways to make them. The dough is the easy part. Only flour, eggs, a little salt and enough water to make it into a dough. I don't use a specific recipe, it's too easy!

And after I found this great tool in my basement (belonged to my great-aunt), I couldn't wait to make them like this! These are my favourite spätzle!
You simply put the pan-like tool on top of a pot with boiling water. The dough is pressed through the holes with smooth movements of the scraper.
As soon as the swim on the top of the water they are ready. Usually this is immediatly. Spätzle made in this way are called Knöpfle - buttons.

Instead of forcing them through holes you can also put the dough onto a plate and cut it into the water. Then you get scraped spätzle. They are bigger than these ones.

The third way I know is using a little press like you can see here. The result is a thin and long spätzle. The most industrial ones you can buy look like made with a press. But of course making them on your own is always the better decision.

My dish was completed with lentil soup from a can (yes, too lazy) and added sausage.

As I cooked too much spätzle, there will be a serving of cheese spätzle tomorrow.

1 comment:

Janine said...

Na, da weiß ich ja schon, was du das nächste mal für mich kochen darfst ;) *yummy*