Zweitblog beachten!

Travel Kiwi - Jetzt mit aktuellen Reiseberichten!
____________________________________________________


Monday, November 17, 2008

Finally: real mice!

In June 2008 I invited some new fellows to live with me. The castrato San and his girls Ichi, Ni, Nana and Hachi. Did you notice? I love Japan!


They settled in a selfbuilt home made of an old rabbit-cage-bottom (100x50cm) and an aquarium (60x30x30cm). This kind of petmouse can be held in an open cage. They can't see very far and are too scared to jump down. Of course there are always some exceptions, but my five are very safe in here.


Very soon I noticed that they could be happier. I included a second tray and more possibilities to climb. They seem much more relaxed now and use their space happily. It is now in a total 210cm (incl. the aqua)!


I am totally against buying pets in pet stores. There are so many animals who wait in the animal shelter to find a new home. And most people in the shelters want to see their animals well looked-after. Pet stores only want to make profit. They sell a lot of rubbish for pets as well. You might think you can find there everything you need, but that's an illusion.

Mouse-cages that have the size of max. 50cm should only be a mere transporting cage. Running wheels with 15-20cm diagonally can cause a lot of illness and misshaping. Not to speak of all the plastic that could tear up their stumaches when they gnaw and swallow it.
The wheel I have is of gnaw-safe plastic and has a measure of 27cm. I have only found the German producer of the wheels: Rodenti
Everything else in their habitat is safe to gnaw. And they do it! The wood I built with is coloured with a paint that can be used for baby-toys.

So no plastic, better use wood, cartonages and ceramic. In facts, nearly everything you would also feel save to give a baby.

See you next time!

No comments: